Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result

UK business minister to tackle steel dumping in China trip

byCustoms Today Report
19/09/2015
in Uncategorized
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

LONDON: The government looks set to clash with Chinese ministers next week after promising to raise the sensitive issue of steel “dumping” following a new threat to 3,000 jobs in the north east of England.

George Osborne leads a delegation to Beijing which includes the business minister, Anna Soubry, who said on Friday that she would raise the issues that are threatening the survival of the Redcar steel works.

You might also like

Zong & Zindigi launch Z-Wallet, bringing embedded banking to millions of My Zong App users

17/08/2026

Bilal Azhar Kayani reaffirms government’s commitment to cashless economy

17/08/2026

“We help with energy costs and recently voted to protect our steel industry from Chinese dumping. Next week I am in China and I will talk to Chinese officials,” said Soubry.

She was speaking after SSI, the owner of the plant on Teesside said it was going to halt production and mothball some operations amid mounting financial losses.

The company blamed a deteriorating steel market for the suspension of output at the 160-year-old site. It said it hoped to resume production eventually.

The Thai-owned SSI is struggling to pay outstanding debts, leading to speculation about how long it could keep going while employing 2,000 staff and 1,000 contractors. Any closure would be a heavy blow because levels of unemployment are among the highest in Britain.

We are taking this pause in production in order to re-evaluate and assess the situation following the outcome of ongoing discussions with our various stakeholders, including government and suppliers,” said Cornelius Louwrens, SSI’s UK business director. “It is with great regret that we have had to make this announcement and we are deeply aware of the concern it will give to our employees and their families.”

SSI bought Redcar from Tata Steel, which had mothballed the plant. Last month, Tata announced plans to lay off up to 250 workers at Llanwern in Wales.

Tags: business

Related Stories

Zong & Zindigi launch Z-Wallet, bringing embedded banking to millions of My Zong App users

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: Zong, Pakistan’s leading technology services enterprise, has partnered with Zindigi, powered by JS Bank, to launch Z-Wallet, bringing regulated...

Bilal Azhar Kayani reaffirms government’s commitment to cashless economy

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: Minister of State for Railways and Finance Bilal Azhar Kayani, reaffirmed the Government of Pakistan’s commitment to advancing a...

Pakistan opens humanitarian lifeline, allows 724 relief trucks into Afghanistan

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan has allowed 724 truckloads of humanitarian relief cargo to cross into Afghanistan through the Torkham border crossing in...

Sales tax chaos: Hybrid vehicle makers halt production

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federation of Pakistan Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FPCCI) has demanded an immediate rollback of the sales tax...

Next Post

Sydney property market slowing, as auction rate plunge to 72.4 %

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.