Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Spanish government dismisses call for Catalan talks; police brace for more unrest

byadmin
22/10/2019
in Latest News
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

BARCELONA: Spain’s government dismissed calls on Saturday from Catalonia’s pro-independence regional chief for talks over a wave of violence sparked by the jailing of separatist leaders, as police braced for fresh protests.

Barcelona saw its worst night of disturbances in decades on as masked youths blocked roads with blazing garbage bins and hurled rocks at security forces, who responded by firing repeated rounds of smoke grenades and tear gas.

You might also like

RCCI urges establishment of German Trade Desk to boost bilateral trade

20/08/2026

PRA Chairman, travel agents delegation discuss taxation issues

20/08/2026

Catalonia’s president, Quim Torra, said the violence did not reflect the peaceful nature of the traditional Catalan independence movement and asked for discussions with Madrid.

“We urge the acting prime minister of the Spanish government to sit at a negotiating table to talk,” he told reporters.

Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez said Torra must first unequivocally condemn the unrest.

“Mr Torra must strongly condemn the violence, which he has not done so far,” Sanchez said in a statement, adding he also needed to build bridges with the many Catalans who do not want secession.

“The government of Spain reiterates that the problem of Catalonia is not independence, which will not occur because it is not legal and nor do the majority of Catalans want it, but rather coexistence,” he said.

Protests erupted this week after Spain’s Supreme Court handed down lengthy prison terms to nine Catalan leaders for their role in a failed independence bid in 2017, which included holding a referendum that courts had deemed illegal.

Radical youth group Arran called for a new demonstration at 6 p.m. (1600 GMT) against “police violence” and to demand the “freedom of all political prisoners”.

Police said they feared renewed confrontations and advised shopkeepers in the city center to close during the protest.

Related Stories

RCCI urges establishment of German Trade Desk to boost bilateral trade

byCT Report
20/08/2026

RAWALPINDI: The Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RCCI) has called for establishing a dedicated German Trade Desk in Pakistan...

PRA Chairman, travel agents delegation discuss taxation issues

byCT Report
20/08/2026

LAHORE: Punjab Revenue Authority (PRA) Chairman Moazzam Iqbal Sipra held a meeting with representatives of Travel Agents Association of Pakistan...

PSMA member urges govt to allow surplus sugar exports to India

byCT Report
20/08/2026

KARACHI: A senior member of the Pakistan Sugar Mills Association (PSMA) has urged the government to allow exports of up...

Karachi Port awards dredging contract to NDMS to accommodate deeper-draft vessels

byCT Report
20/08/2026

KARACHI: Karachi Port Trust (KPT) has awarded a dredging contract to National Dredging & Marine Services (NDMS) to deepen the...

Next Post

EU Approves Greece’s Plan to Reduce Bad Loans

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.