Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result
This picture taken on December 10, 2013 shows Google's logo at the Google cultural hub in Paris. The Lab is a place in the French capital designed to enable artists, museums, foundations and other cultural players to meet the US giant's engineers and gain access to its technology. France's culture minister on December 10 cancelled her attendance at the Paris launch of the Google cultural hub at the last minute, in a snub to the US giant over data protection and other issues.   AFP PHOTO/JOEL SAGET        (Photo credit should read JOEL SAGET/AFP/Getty Images)

This picture taken on December 10, 2013 shows Google's logo at the Google cultural hub in Paris. The Lab is a place in the French capital designed to enable artists, museums, foundations and other cultural players to meet the US giant's engineers and gain access to its technology. France's culture minister on December 10 cancelled her attendance at the Paris launch of the Google cultural hub at the last minute, in a snub to the US giant over data protection and other issues. AFP PHOTO/JOEL SAGET (Photo credit should read JOEL SAGET/AFP/Getty Images)

France fines Google over ‘right to be forgotten’ rule

byCT Report
31/03/2016
in Uncategorized
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

PARIS: The French data protection authority said it has fined Google 100,000 euros (US$111,720) for not scrubbing Web search results widely enough in response to a European privacy ruling.

The only way for Google to uphold the Europeans’ right to privacy was by delisting inaccurate results popping up under name searches across all its Web sites, the Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertes (CNIL) said in a statement on Thursday.

You might also like

IWCCI appreciates CDA, MCI support for women entrepreneurs

20/05/2026

Mobilink Bank partners with Legal Aid Society to advance women’s inheritance rights & climate resilience in Pakistan

20/05/2026

In May 2014 the European Court of Justice ruled that people could ask search engines, such as Google and Microsoft Corp’s Bing, to remove inadequate or irrelevant information from Web results appearing under searches for people’s names — dubbed the “right to be forgotten.”

The US Internet giant has been at odds with EU data protection authorities over the territorial scope of the ruling.

Google complied, but it only scrubbed results across its European Web sites such as Google.de in Germany and Google.fr in France on the grounds that to doing otherwise would have a chilling effect on the free flow of information.

In May last year the CNIL ordered Google to expand its application of the ruling to all its domains, including Google.com, because of the ease of switching from a European domain to Google.com.

“Contrary to Google’s statements, applying delisting to all of the extensions does not curtail freedom of expression insofar as it does not entail any deletion of content from the Internet,” the CNIL said.

A spokesman for Google, now a unit of holding company Alphabet Inc, said the company had worked hard to implement the “right to be forgotten ruling thoughtfully and comprehensively in Europe.”

“But as a matter of principle, we disagree with the CNIL’s assertion that it has the authority to control the content that people can access outside France and we plan to appeal their ruling,” Google spokesman Al Verney said.

The company did try to assuage the regulator’s concerns last month by delisting search results across all its Web sites — including Google.com — when accessed from the country where the request came from.

That meant that if a German resident asks Google to delist a link popping up under searches for his or her name, the link will not be visible on any version of Google’s Web site, including Google.com, when the search engine is accessed from Germany.

However, the CNIL rejected that approach, saying that a person’s right to privacy could not depend on the “geographic origin of those viewing the search results.”

“Only delisting on all of the search engine’s extensions, regardless of the extension used or the geographic origin of the person performing the search, can effectively uphold this right,” it said.

Related Stories

IWCCI appreciates CDA, MCI support for women entrepreneurs

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The leadership of the Islamabad Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IWCCI) has formally thanked the Capital Development Authority...

Mobilink Bank partners with Legal Aid Society to advance women’s inheritance rights & climate resilience in Pakistan

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s leading digital microfinance bank, Mobilink Bank, has partnered with Legal Aid Society under its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)...

Customs orders online payment deadline for ground handling agents

byCT Report
20/05/2026

KARACHI: Pakistan Customs has ordered all Ground Handling Agents (GHA) to implement fully operational online payment systems within three months...

FBR revises property valuation rates in Lahore & Rawalpindi

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has revised the valuation tables for immovable properties in selected areas of Lahore...

Next Post

UK gov’t spends £100,000 on lawyers to defend the bedroom tax

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.