Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result

Hong Kong lawmakers warned about HK$36b loss

byCT Report
22/04/2017
in Uncategorized
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

HONG KONG: The government has warned that Hong Kong risks a massive loss of economic benefits if lawmakers fail to pass a HK$5.45 billion funding application for a revamp of the Disneyland theme park.

In a desperate attempt to press for Finance Committee endorsement, commerce minister Greg So Kam-leung told lawmakers on Saturday that a risk test showed Hong Kong could lose up to HK$36 billion in economic benefits over 40 years if Disneyland’s visitor numbers shrank by 15 percent.

You might also like

RCCI urges establishment of German Trade Desk to boost bilateral trade

20/08/2026

PRA Chairman, travel agents delegation discuss taxation issues

20/08/2026

Lawmakers were unable to vote on the funding request at the end of a seven-hour debate, which included two failed motions seeking adjournment of the proceedings.

There were also several scuffles between pan-democratic lawmakers and committee chairman Chan Kin-por.

In one case, Chan had to adjourn the meeting briefly because Raymond Chan Chi-chuen and “Long Hair” Leung Kwok-hung rushed to the chairman’s seat, protesting against his rejection of Eddie Chu Hoi-dick’s call for additional terms to be added to the funding application.

The Finance Committee will continue its discussions on the coming Friday.

Last month Walt Disney agreed to inject an extra HK$350 million for the revamp and waive part of its management fees for two years. But critics said the concessions were not significant enough to benefit the city.

Lawmakers also questioned if the theme park was financially viable given that it was still losing money despite good attendance figures, and why a third-party investor had never been introduced to the venture in the past decade.

The controversial HK$10.9 billion expansion project, due to open next year, will feature thematic zones based on the blockbuster Frozen and Marvel super- hero films, as well as the transformation of the Sleeping Beauty Castle.

Related Stories

RCCI urges establishment of German Trade Desk to boost bilateral trade

byCT Report
20/08/2026

RAWALPINDI: The Rawalpindi Chamber of Commerce and Industry (RCCI) has called for establishing a dedicated German Trade Desk in Pakistan...

PRA Chairman, travel agents delegation discuss taxation issues

byCT Report
20/08/2026

LAHORE: Punjab Revenue Authority (PRA) Chairman Moazzam Iqbal Sipra held a meeting with representatives of Travel Agents Association of Pakistan...

PSMA member urges govt to allow surplus sugar exports to India

byCT Report
20/08/2026

KARACHI: A senior member of the Pakistan Sugar Mills Association (PSMA) has urged the government to allow exports of up...

Karachi Port awards dredging contract to NDMS to accommodate deeper-draft vessels

byCT Report
20/08/2026

KARACHI: Karachi Port Trust (KPT) has awarded a dredging contract to National Dredging & Marine Services (NDMS) to deepen the...

Next Post

Ireland’s port traffic remains strong in 2016

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.