Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result

Supermarket group Tesco reports £5.74b annual net loss in 12 months

byCustoms Today Report
22/04/2015
in Uncategorized
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

LONDON: Supermarket group Tesco, announced that it had plunged massively into the red last year as it took a hit on the value of its property.

Tesco, which was hit by a major crisis last October after accounting errors that overstated profits, reported a loss after tax of £5.74 billion in the 12 months to the end of February.

You might also like

FBR starts Tajir Asan registration on IRIS portal for new taxpayers

17/08/2026

Govt seeks more real estate tax relief as IMF resists more concessions

17/08/2026

That compared with a net profit of £974 million in 2013/14, the group said in an earnings statement.

It has been a very difficult year for Tesco,” chief executive Dave Lewis said in the statement.

The results we have published today reflect a deterioration in the market and, more significantly, an erosion of our competitiveness over recent years.”

Tesco announced £7.0 billion of one-off charges, mostly linked to a writedown on the value of its property.

It also revealed an impairment of £630 million relating to Tesco’s investment with China Resources Enterprise Ltd.

Stripping out the exceptional charges, Tesco reported annual pre-tax profit of £961 million, down 68 percent.

The market is still challenging and we are not expecting any let-up in the months ahead,” added Lewis, who joined Tesco in September.

Shortly after his arrival, Tesco revealed that it had overstated profits by £263 million as a result of accounting errors stretching back to before 2013.

Britain’s Serious Fraud Office is probing the accounting blunder at the group, which is the world’s third-biggest supermarket chain after France’s Carrefour and global leader Walmart.

The scandal sparked the suspension of eight Tesco executives and the resignation of chairman Richard Broadbent. Lewis has meanwhile already said he will shut a number of loss-making stores and scrap plans to open more outlets.

Tags: Tesco

Related Stories

FBR starts Tajir Asan registration on IRIS portal for new taxpayers

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has started offering Tajir Asan registration through the IRIS 2.0 portal, allowing new...

Govt seeks more real estate tax relief as IMF resists more concessions

byCT Report
17/08/2026

ISLAMABAD: The federal government is continuing negotiations with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) to secure additional tax concessions for Pakistan’s...

Minister announces 400-acre Port Qasim garment city project, 138,000 jobs projected

byCT Report
17/08/2026

KARACHI: Federal Minister for Maritime Affairs Muhammad Junaid Anwar Chaudhry has announced plans to establish a 400-acre apparel zone at...

Pakistan, Iran agree to keep border crossings open round the clock to boost trade

byCT Report
15/08/2026

ISLAMABBAD: Pakistan and Iran on Wednesday agreed to further expand trade ties by keeping border crossings open round the clock,...

Next Post

French Customs seizes record 2.5 tonns of cocaine in Caribbean

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.