Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result

UK sentences Sunderland men for smuggling illicit cigarettes

byCustoms Today Report
22/09/2015
in Uncategorized
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

You might also like

IWCCI appreciates CDA, MCI support for women entrepreneurs

20/05/2026

Mobilink Bank partners with Legal Aid Society to advance women’s inheritance rights & climate resilience in Pakistan

20/05/2026

LONDON: Two smugglers who plotted to flood the North East with a shipment of four million illicit cigarettes have been jailed after an HM Revenue and Customs investigation revealed their scam.
Brian Storey, 28, of Ryhope, was stopped by Border Force officers at the Port of Dover after arriving on a ferry from France in July 2013. Inside his HGV, they discovered cigarettes worth £919,000 in unpaid duty – hidden among pallets of toilet roll.
The find triggered an investigation by HMRC that revealed Storey’s accomplice, 38-year-old Richard Watt, of Sunderland, had obtained a credit card under a false name that he used to make Storey’s travel arrangements.
During interview, Storey said he believed the HGV only contained toilet roll and dried food, and that he didn’t know the identity of the man who had made his travel arrangements. Analysis of his unregistered pay-as-you-go mobile phone revealed calls with an unknown contact regarding the tobacco shipment.
Attention then turned to the ferry booking, which had been made using a pre-paid credit card supposedly belonging to a ‘Paul Kaye’. But enquiries with the card issuer established that a bank statement and driving licence used in the application process were fake.
Richard Watt was arrested in October 2013 after the address used on the Paul Kaye credit card application was found to be his. During interview, he denied any knowledge of the cigarettes seized from Storey’s HGV and said he hadn’t created the Paul Kaye alias.
Both were charged with the fraudulent evasion of excise duty and pleaded guilty to the charges at Maidstone Crown Court in February and June 2015. Watt was sentenced to three years in prison, Storey to two years, by His Honour Judge Norton at Canterbury Crown Court on Friday 18 September 2015.
Two other men, from Morpeth and Chester-le-Street, were cleared of involvement following a trial in July 2015.

Tags: UK sentences Sunderland men for smuggling illicit cigarettes

Related Stories

IWCCI appreciates CDA, MCI support for women entrepreneurs

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The leadership of the Islamabad Women Chamber of Commerce and Industry (IWCCI) has formally thanked the Capital Development Authority...

Mobilink Bank partners with Legal Aid Society to advance women’s inheritance rights & climate resilience in Pakistan

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan’s leading digital microfinance bank, Mobilink Bank, has partnered with Legal Aid Society under its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR)...

Customs orders online payment deadline for ground handling agents

byCT Report
20/05/2026

KARACHI: Pakistan Customs has ordered all Ground Handling Agents (GHA) to implement fully operational online payment systems within three months...

FBR revises property valuation rates in Lahore & Rawalpindi

byCT Report
20/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has revised the valuation tables for immovable properties in selected areas of Lahore...

Next Post

Philippines: JFC calls for enactment of Customs Modernization and Tariff Act

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.