Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result
Home Latest News

Bangladesh Customs plans to auction-off 85 non-duty paid vehicles

byCT Report
09/03/2017
in Latest News
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

DHAKA: The customs authority plans to auction-off 85 luxury cars that were forfeited at Chittagong Port as those did not pay taxes or were not re-exported, a senior customs official said.

These vehicles were imported with a duty-free privilege called Carnet de Passages, under two UN treaties that allow tourists to bring their vehicles to a country without payment of customs duties, provided the vehicles are taken back by the foreign nationals.

You might also like

Pakistan’s leading oil refineries warn of shutting down production over smuggling

21/05/2026

Pakistan draws final tranche of $1.2b Saudi oil facility

21/05/2026

The National Board of Revenue scrapped the duty-free import benefit a couple of years ago, seeing that the privilege was being abused.

Many cars that were brought in with the benefit were neither re-exported nor legalized by paying customs duties, according to NBR. The NBR also found that Bangladesh was not a signatory to the treaties under which the Carnet de Passages facility is given.

“These cars have been stuck at the port since 2013. Importers did not release the vehicles by paying the duties and taxes. As a result, these were forfeited,” said Moinul Khan, director general of the Customs Intelligence and Investigation Directorate.

In August last year, Chittagong Customs House held a special auction for the cars, including Mercedes Benz and BMW. But it received bids for 59 cars and that too at very low quotations, according to the NBR.

Many buyers were not interested to take part in the auction because of the hassle in getting permits from the commerce ministry to take delivery of the cars from the port, they added.

As a result, the auction prices were very low and no vehicle was released, according to NBR meeting minutes.

Khan said the NBR plans to hold the next auction in the presence of a representative of the Anti-Corruption Commission.

He said the NBR chairman may also send a “demi-official” letter to the commerce secretary to issue clearance permits to the auction winners.

“Anyone with a taxpayer’s identification number will be able to participate in the auction. No trade licence will be required,” he said.

Showkat Ali Saadi, additional commissioner of the customs house in Chittagong, said the date for the auction will be announced soon.

Since 1963, the revenue authority has allowed 245 cars under the Carnet de Passages facility. Most of the vehicles were brought in by British-Bangladeshis hailing from Sylhet, according to the NBR officials.

Related Stories

Pakistan’s leading oil refineries warn of shutting down production over smuggling

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: Five of Pakistan’s largest oil refineries on Thursday warned that increasing smuggling of petroleum products is threatening refinery operations...

Pakistan draws final tranche of $1.2b Saudi oil facility

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The federal government has fully utilised a $1.2 billion oil facility from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), with...

FBR imposes Rs2.7b penalty on Gerry’s Dnata in electronics smuggling case

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue has imposed penalties worth Rs2.7 billion on Gerry’s Dnata after adjudication orders found the...

Punjab leads sales tax collection growth with 38pc increase

byCT Report
21/05/2026

LAHORE: Punjab recorded the highest growth in sales tax collection on services among all provinces during the first nine months...

Next Post
90% male migrant workers victim of corruption in 2016: TIB

90% male migrant workers victim of corruption in 2016: TIB

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.