Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
  • Home
  • Islamabad
  • Karachi
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
No Result
View All Result
Customs Today
No Result
View All Result
Home Islamabad

FIA busts racket of ‘online fraudsters’

byCT Report
26/08/2017
in Islamabad
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Investigation Agency (FIA) has busted a racket of online fraudsters who were allegedly using the name of Interior Minister Ahsan Iqbal to mint money from the public in return for ‘providing jobs’ in China-Pakistan Economic Corridor Project (CPEC) related projects.

The suspects were impersonating themselves as Ahsan Iqbal to mint money from the gullible clients, an official of the agency said.

You might also like

Pakistan draws final tranche of $1.2b Saudi oil facility

21/05/2026

FBR imposes Rs2.7b penalty on Gerry’s Dnata in electronics smuggling case

21/05/2026

The official said that the FIA’s cyber crime wing had registered an FIR against the suspects on the private complaint of a university professor, who was deprived of huge money, and two of them have been arrested.

The university professor in his complaint had said that some online fraudsters cheated him to transfer a huge amount of money into their accounts in return for giving a job in a CPEC related project. The suspected impersonators used the name of Ahsan Iqbal, who was earlier the planning minister in the cabinet of ousted Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif, the official said. But the professor later found that he had been cheated.

The FIA investigation revealed that the suspects used to acquire the money fraudulently in the name of ‘processing fee’ through their bank accounts.

The FIA has arrested the two suspects identified as Ali Ahmad Bhatti and Sohail Baig, and some amount of the defrauded money has been recovered from them.

The extorted money had been transferred into the accounts of Baig. The suspects have disclosed the names of other members of the racket and the agency was searching for them, the FIA official said.

 

Related Stories

Pakistan draws final tranche of $1.2b Saudi oil facility

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The federal government has fully utilised a $1.2 billion oil facility from the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA), with...

FBR imposes Rs2.7b penalty on Gerry’s Dnata in electronics smuggling case

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: The Federal Board of Revenue has imposed penalties worth Rs2.7 billion on Gerry’s Dnata after adjudication orders found the...

FBR amends income tax rules to expand ID requirements

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMBAD: The Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) has amended the Income Tax Rules, 2002 through S.R.O. 879(I)/2026, introducing broader identification...

AIIB desires to invest in Pakistan’s energy sector

byCT Report
21/05/2026

ISLAMABAD: Federal Minister for Power Sardar Awais Ahmed Khan Leghari on Wednesday held a meeting with a delegation of the...

Next Post

NAB chairman has no influence over Sharif cases

  • Terms and Conditions
  • Disclaimer

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.

No Result
View All Result
  • Transfers and Postings
  • Latest News
  • Karachi
  • Islamabad
  • Lahore
  • National
  • Chambers & Associations
  • Business
  • About Us

© 2011 Customs Today -World's first newspaper on customs. Customs Today.